Based on this blog, it should be obvious that I take entertainment very seriously. Ingesting stories is how I grow and/or stay alive. So when it comes to preparing to move to Greece, the majority of my planning has revolved around books and media.
The one problem? I have to pack a year’s worth of possessions into two suitcases and a backpack. While I would LIKE to take two suitcases full of books, even I know that is impractical. So I’ve improvised.
My family went travel-happy on my Christmas gifts this year, so I am now the proud owner of a 6″ Kindle. I have built up my collection of ebooks (have you used BookBub? You should use BookBub). I also looked into my library policy, and it seems as though I should be able to check out ebooks and audiobooks overseas! Score!
Still, I have to have SOME physical copies of books. I’m taking some old favorites and some unread possibilities I feel good about. Looking at them now, I realize I’ve chosen books that make me feel ALL THE FEELS, whether through faith, travel, or fiction.
- The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (after I took this picture, I bought this on Kindle instead. IT’S BIG AND HEAVY)
- The Faith of the Outsider by Frank Spina
- Gospel by J.D. Greer
- Love’s Executioner by Irvin Yalom
- Strong Women Soft Hearts by Paula Reinhart
- A Traveller’s History of Greece by T. Boatswain and C. Nicolson
As for movies and TV? Unfortunately, Netflix will not work in Greece (apparently there is a way around this, but everything I’ve seen looks like it costs money, and I’d rather not). I intend to lean pretty heavily upon YouTube and googling “watch This Movie online free.” I’m also going to bring a small CD holder with 24 of my favorite movies stuffed inside.
- Anna Karenina
- The Avengers
- Beauty and the Beast
- Becoming Jane
- Big Fish
- The Fall
- The Island
- A Knight’s Tale
- Little Miss Sunshine
- The Man in the Iron Mask
- Meet Joe Black
- The Moon-Spinners
- Moulin Rouge
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- Peter Pan
- Romeo + Juliet
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Slumdog Millionaire
- The Truman Show
I feel pretty good about my collection! It won’t last me a whole year, but it’ll last me until someone comes to visit and I beg them to include some new DVDs and books.