First I would like to thank you Miss Tricia for my history lesson today. I learned some new stuff and RE learned some old. Most of the historical stuff I read was as one would assume…Because Greece is one of the world’s oldest civilizations, the influence MANY Greeks had on EVERYTHING is astounding. Math (Pythagorean Theorem), Language, Architecture, Art & Theater, Psychology, literature, fashion (draping, gladiator sandals, headbands, etc.), democracy, should I keep going??
Basically, we wouldn’t be the America we are today without Greece. So how about I give you some random trivia knowledge about everything Greece… Some you may know, but others (I will feel accomplished if) you may hear for the first time!!!
- Athens is one of the oldest capitals in the World. (Back story: The original capital was Nafplio, then that was stripped during the fall of the Ottoman Empire in the 19th Century. Athens became the capital in 1834.)
- Nearly 17 million tourists visit Greece every year, which is 50% more than their entire population!
- Greece is the most sexually active country according to Duramax survey.
- Greek is the oldest written language and one of the oldest spoken languages in the world.
- Cleopatra, famous Egyptian ruler, was actually GREEK! Not Egyptian at all!
- Greeks invented the yo-yo!
So that Parthenon was actually in pretty good shape most of it’s existence…but in the 1600s they were using it as a place to store gun powder and there was an explosion…that + time = what the Parthenon looks like now.
- Greece is the leading producer in sea sponges!
- No point in Greece is more than 85 miles from water. Greece has about 9,000 miles in coastline, 10th longest in the world.
- The first recorded Olympic games was in 776 BC staged in Olympia. It consisted of one event, the 200 meter dash. BUT FIRST, they sacrificed 100 bulls to Zeus. The dude that won it, Koroibus, was a baker from a nearby town. And of course, he did it in the buff.
So did I teach you anything?!?! Every other article I found was, “You’re an American going to Greece?! Oh my! Be careful! People want your money, and don’t wave at someone with an open hand. And if they spit on you, it’s a good thing.”
HAPPY THURSDAY/FRIDAY! See you in 64 days!