There’s nothing I like more than packing and planning ahead, so of course three days before I’m due to fly out, I’ve got my suitcases filled and stacked by the doorway. They were even under 50 lbs on my first try!
When I tell people I’ve got to pack a year’s worth of possessions into two suitcases, most people furrow their brows and look sad for me. They are so wrong! I LOVE IT. I love moving and having the opportunity to choose the things I really like, abandoning everything else. I love leaving holes in my possessions, looking forward to the things I’ll buy in Greece (shampoo and boots). I love the feeling of knowing that I can fit my life into two suitcases, a backpack, and a computer bag. It makes me feel free.
A few packing tips:
- ROLL YOUR CLOTHES.
- Keep the little pieces of things (socks, underwear, wall plug-ins, razor refills, etc) separate so you can stick them in the little nooks and crannies that will appear as you pack.
- If you have shoes, cups, etc, make sure you stuff the empty space inside!
- Divide the heavy items (books, shoes, etc) between the two suitcases so that one isn’t overwhelmingly heavy.
- Pack a bag within a bag: I usually travel with a duffel bag, so I packed it full, stuck it inside a suitcase, and packed the rest of the space around it.
- Use vacuum seal bags to seriously squish towels, coats, sweaters, and blankets.
- Plan on wearing bulky clothes/shoes while traveling so you don’t have to pack them.
Congrats! That’s an accomplishment for sure. It would be hard for me to do, but when push comes to shove how often do we wear the same five-ish shirts and pants anyway? Also, my motto when I’m stressing whether I considered everything or not, is… What you forget you can always buy there… Excited to watch this unfold.
I mean, I did bring a lot more than five shirts. Don’t worry. 🙂
But yeah, it’s a lot more exciting to think about all the things I’ll buy while there: packing up at the end of the year when I come back will probably be a lot harder!