Year 2 | A Week in Greece #1: I’M BACK

Technically I haven’t been in Greece for a full week; just 48 hours.  But it already feels worth documenting, so here we go.

After three flights and nearly 24 hours of traveling, I arrived in Athens at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday.  Anthi picked me up, and as she drove me home, she filled me in on some more HD news.  Cool fact:  our newest participant is Muslim, so she doesn’t eat pork.  As mentioned in my last post, I’ve decided to give up pork this year!  Hopefully we can bond over this and find some food solidarity.

As I was unpacking, Anthi offered to pick up some groceries for me.  I requested cereal and milk for the moment, and she came back with that plus eggs “because I know you love eggs.”

My newest roommate Olga moved in on January 3rd, but she was at a friend’s house when I got home.  I was asleep by the time she came home, and now she’s spending the weekend at the Bible College, so I have yet to actually see her.  I’m excited to be housemates, but it was nice to have the house to myself for my first weekend back.

On Friday, I was SO PRODUCTIVE.  I did all the things I hate most:  paid a bill at the post office, walked down to Cosmote to ask about wifi plans, started a Word document of all the Greek vocabulary I learned last year, and…huh.  I promise it felt like a lot.

I went over to Rosie’s that afternoon to meet up with her, Kendra, and Danielle.  I felt closest to them during my time away, because we are all part of a “Parents of Furry Kids” Viber chat where we shared pictures of our cats for the last six weeks.  I also was reunited with Hans Harrison, who is SO massive compared to Rory.

Luciana and Giorgos came to pick up me and HH (so good to see them again!), and once again we dream-teamed the cat trapping.  Unfortunately, Hans Harrison seems to have associated Giorgos’s voice with trauma, because he hides whenever they’re around.  They stayed at my house for a while so we could all catch up.  They were hugely understanding of all my many feelings, and when I told them that due to visa issues I would be staying until at least April 2018, Luciana suggested, “So you’ve decided to live here long term?”

“I’m open to another two years or something.”

“No, like, long term.  Forever!”

“Hahahahhaa, commitment scares me, please stop.”

They left late, and I fell asleep not long after.  Unfortunately, I woke up at 5 am (jet lag!!), which caused Hans Harrison to run around, thinking I was getting up.  He tried to chew on his new collar and got his lower jaw stuck in the thing, causing me major panic as I tried to reach him under the bed and unsnap it as he gagged.  When I got it off of him, he practically burrowed himself into my skin as thanks, reminding me of that Aesop’s fable about a lion with a thorn in its paw.

I couldn’t go back to sleep for ages, and when I did, my alarm went off not long after.  I hit snooze for TWO HOURS and finally got up at 10:30 am.  I really hate jet lag.  Luckily, I did all the boring errands and all the fun friend-seeing yesterday, so I’m going to be as lazy as necessary today!

It’s really good to be back.  It’s really good to feel like I’m returning home – to my own apartment and to people who already know and love me.  What a difference this is compared to last year!


2 thoughts on “Year 2 | A Week in Greece #1: I’M BACK

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s